Better Media is hiring!
Better Media is a campaigning co-op run by members. We are looking for a part time worker to lead the fight for media reform and media justice by helping people to be the media, know the media, and change the media.
ROLE: Campaign Coordinator
CONTRACT: Part-time freelance contract, 1 day a week for 12 months
SALARY: London Living Wage (currently £11.05 per hour)
What will I be doing?
BE THE MEDIA
Help people to take control of and shape the media
- Signpost to existing independent media roles, projects, and guides to starting your own local, independent media
KNOW THE MEDIA
Inform members and the public of relevant media news and events
Educate members and the public on existing and developing media systems
- Maintain and grow BM’s social media presence
- Regularly generate and post content on BM’s website
- Host and administrate BM’s community forums
CHANGE THE MEDIA
Support campaigns for media justice
- Liaise with campaign partners to promote diverse, democratic, and accountable, media
- Organise regular online meet-ups promoting media justice
What skills do I need?
- Familiarity with WordPress, Twitter, Facebook
- Basic graphic and web design skills (editing, resizing images, etc)
- Digital media literacy
- Editorial and writing skills
- A developed understanding of the workings of mainstream media and a knowledge of alternatives
- Organising and/or campaigning experience
- Familiarity with parliamentary processes
- Familiarity with Meetup
- Experience of hosting an online community
- Familiarity with Discourse, Loomio, Nextcloud, Wekan, Rocket.Chat, Ghost and other alternatives to corporate tools
- Experience of creating video and/or audio visual content on social platforms to engage an audience (e.g. YouTube, TikTok video, podcasts etc)
If you are interested in applying, please send a CV along with a demonstration of your suitability, be this a covering letter, video, or other media of your choice, to email@example.com. If you have questions about role, please feel free get in touch using the same address.
Given the role is based around online campaigning, you will be expected to work from home. The role is therefore open to applicants regardless of geographical location within the UK. You will be expected to work using your own laptop and internet connection.
All applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, nationality, genetics, disability, or age.
Closing date for applications is 5pm, 1st April 2022. Interviews will be held on a rolling basis, therefore we reserve the right to close the application process earlier than the deadline date.
Please share this with potentially interested parties. Feel free to suggest suitable places (paid or otherwise) where this job advert could be posted to maximise our chances of reaching suitable applicants.